Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mirror turned Chalkboard


This month I am hosting a bunco group at my house so I am finally motivated to get some decorating done.  The entry room is in need of some help.  I have a key holder by the front door, but decided I wanted something to hang above it.  I found this mirror I'd bought 2 years ago from Hobby Lobby in the garage and decided it would be my first project.


First I cut a piece of computer paper to the size of the mirror so as to not get spray paint on it. 



Next I took it outside, laid it on some newspaper, then used the blue spray paint I used on our outside lights and flower pots.  I figured the blue would complement the green entry.


Second layer of spray paint.



Third and final layer of spray paint.  Painting things in thin layers will keep it from having drips or splotches.


Here is the mirror with it's finished paint.



Next I used an old newspaper to cut a very precise template for the chalkboard contact paper I bought. 


I was a bit unsure about chalkboard vinyl surface but it seems to work really well.  I also plan to use it to make labels for all of our clear containers... flour, sugar, and what not.


Here's the paper, cut to size.  It took me a while to put it on, but the good news is I was able to keep peeling it up and nothing bad happened.  It seems to be pretty resilient.


Chalkboard in place.   The End.

No comments: