Tuesday, February 21, 2012

from the New International Encyclopaedia

Last month I went to visit my good friend Lydia in Birmingham one weekend, and we went to some of her favorite spots.  One of which is an "old books" bookstore, Jim Reed's Books and the Museum of Fond Memories. There were thousands of books, and even more interesting, were the antique post boxes full of ancient letters, postcards, and photographs.  I did end up buying two postcards, stamped, addressed and mailed in the early 1900s.  I've got a nice little collection going and hope to someday set them up to be a coffee table book.  My other purchases were an old metal globe, and these two pages from the New International Encyclopaedia, circa 1902.  I can't tell if they are from one of the first prints or not, but either way I really love them.   
My original plan was to get them matted and framed and put them over my husband's and my nightstands.  Inspired by Young House Love.  Then when I got home I was reminded of how small our bedroom is and that the curtains go behind my nightstand.  So now they are sitting on our bookcase in the living room.  I still think I want to get them framed, but I'll wait till I know where I want to hang them.  Also, I'm considering asking Lydia to go back and see if there are any others that seem worth purchasing before someone else snatches them up.

No comments: