Monday, July 27, 2009

HOT! HOT! HOT!

I really love all kinds of art and experimenting with different mediums. Two of my favorite mediums are watercolor and block printing, so I found a way to combine them. Also created this style so I can sell them on etsy. But I think they are pretty cool looking, I just have to get the watercoloring part down. Step 1. Designed my block print with peppers, drew them off with sharpie, and started carving.
Here's the final carved block
Step 2. I had to rig up a light box for myself so I could watercolor over where I knew the peppers would be printed later. I used a light I bought to hang in my closet but never put up, and a plastic storage container.
Step 3. On translucent paper I drew the rough outline of the peppers and then put my watercolor paper over that to paint loosely in the bright reds and greens.
Step 4. I did two watercolors, on two kinds of watercolor paper. The "nicer" paper ended up not working as well as I'd hoped. I'm going for a loose look with some bleeding outside the lines of the peppers.
Second watercolor
Step 5. Block print. I rolled on the ink, then lined up my watercolor as best I could. The cheaper paper block prints better cause it stayed flat.
This is the more expensive watercolor paper. The colors are nice on the peppers but the black isn't as strong as I wanted.
This is the cheaper quality paper, but I much prefer its printing ability. I think I'll just have to practice a good bit till I get the paint to blend and run like I've got it in my head.
So that's it... my combination of watercolor and block printing. I have plans to do several different prints with different subject matter. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

JoAnne said...

Loved your first effort! What if you painted the entire picture and just made the peppers darker? definitely a trick getting the black black enough.
good try!

Kim said...

That is really good. I'm very impressed with how the block carving turned out. How about making some ginko leaves? :-) I LOVE ginko leaves.