Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How-To: Book Sleeves

Almost our entire bookcase has books that are covered in brown paper or brown paper with a white floral pattern all over it.  I find that it makes the bookcase still a focal point, but much less chaotic.  My husband would say otherwise.  Here is how I cover them.


I am currently working on covering the Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events books.


First I take the roll of paper, unroll it a little and fold the bottom edge up about 1 to 2 inches.  I then lay the book I'm covering on the paper to measure how much to cut off of the top.





Once I have cut the roll off, I fold down the top part to the size of the book, or just a smidge bigger.  It doesn't need to have too big of a space around the edge because the book will sit at the bottom and the extra on the top looks odd to me.


I then fold the side over, a little wider than an inch.




I roll tape and put it on the side flap.  I usually do four pieces per flap but there are the occasions that it requires 3 top and 3 bottom.


I then place the back cover in the pocket I just made by taping the flap.




Next I flip the book over, cut the paper to form another flap, and mark where the book ends.  That's how I know I'm making a snug fit, but not too small.













After the flap is folded, you place tape on the folded parts, fold it back together, and put in the front cover.





I then use a black pen to write the title of the book and the author's last name.  Open the book before you start writing so you know it's facing the right way.  If you write it upside down, you could just take the book out of the cover and turn it the other direction.
.
.
I had intended on having the series covered before I posted so I may update later and show the covered stack of books.

No comments: