Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bedroom update

The headboard we used to have was one my husband bought on his own years and years ago.  There wasn't really anything wrong with it, except that it wasn't my style.  So I used the wife veto power and decided to upholster a headboard.  I took a 4x8 piece of plywood, drew off the shape, got Matty to cut out the shape with a jigsaw, then it was all up to me from there on...mostly.  I bought the foam at Joann's with a 50% off coupon because if you've ever bought foam you know it is absurdly expensive.  I had to cut it into three pieces, one that ran straight across the bottom half, then two small sections I pieced together for the top.  I traced the headboard on the foam then used a bread knife to cut it at an angle.  Next I glued the foam to the plywood using spray adhesive.  Attached batting over the whole thing using an electric staple gun and what felt like hundreds of staples.  I then laid the whole thing face down on the back of the fabric and stretched and stapled for hours until I felt like it was all on their good and tight.  Lastly I measured and drew dots where the nail heads where intended to go and Matt hammered them all in.  Added legs off our old headboard and attached it to our current bed frame.


This is the finished headboard, without any pillows in front of it.



Here is a close up of the nail heads.  I used a nickel colored head to match all the brushed nickel details in our house.


The pillow sitting in front is one I picked the fabric for, and my mom finished sewing for me.  It was actually inspired by this pillow from Cup of Jo.  Her room makeover was done by Jenny Komenda from Little Green Notebook, which is another one of my favorite blogs.



This is a close-up of the fabric.  I really love the colors, the pattern, and all the detail it has.  Next on my list for our room is new, fancy sheets, possibly changing the curtains, fixing up the side tables, husband finishing the dresser he started building me, and bookshelves in the corner of our room.  Oh, and some kind of art.


2 comments:

Kim said...

Love it! I never would have been brave enough to try such a fancy shape.

HalesNoels said...

Wow Mil! It looks so pro. You need to make me one for the guest bed!